We all experience life challenges and we know when we’re in the middle of them what’s wrong. But what about the rest of the time when for all intents and purposes everything is fine… but you’re not? Do you want to continue to go through every day unsatisfied, ambivalent or being just OK?
I recently spent some time thinking about why I was having those feelings. It took time and the willingness to truly explore how I have lived my life and the repeated behavior that was at the heart of my discontent. For me it all involved a series of decisions that were made under pressure (real or perceived) that I had to live with when in truth I just wanted to move on.
If you’re tired of just being OK and want to move to a better place try these Simple Steps:
- Identify what part of your life isn’t sitting right with you. Perhaps it’s an aspect of your job or the company you work for. Is there something about your relationship that you’re settling for? Are you doing alright financially but believe you can’t do even just a little bit more like take a vacation or buy new clothes? You may have more than one area. Pick the one to work on that bothers you the most.
- Once you’ve identified what isn’t the way you want it… ask yourself why. You may have to sit with this for awhile and think about what is nagging you. For example if your home isn’t where you want to live is it because of the house or apartment itself, the location or lack of amenities in the area? (Or all of the above!)
- What would have to change for you to feel better? Using the housing example perhaps you love the house but it’s too far away from everything. Focus in on what you want to be different and then…
- Determine what can change right now and what will take time. For example, If you’re locked into a lease or it’s not a good time to sell you home determine when it can change. When is your lease up? Talk to a realtor about the optimal time to put your home on the market. Now…
- Plan your next steps. If it’s moving start exploring your ideal neighborhood or community. Determine what improvements you need to make in your home to sell it. Make a list and start working on your plan, right now.
- Focus on what you are grateful for. While you’re planning your escape be thankful for the roof over your head, the great neighbors you’ve met or that you have a plan and are working on it. When you’re grateful for what you’ve got you open your heart and soul to receive even more.
There is power in taking a Simple Step… and greater satisfaction in your life when you do! Start now!