I’m going to try something new today… Simple Steps in action! When we are in the middle of a stressful situation it’s easy to see all of the problems. When however you make a conscious effort to identify the positive aspects, the silver lining, not only do you feel better but the stress dissipates.
The challenges below are directly out of my own life. In the spirit of full disclosure… I’m not always as good at this as I’d like to be… however if I cut myself some slack I know that it won’t be long before I’m back to focusing on the positive. The point is if you are having a problem converting a negative to a positive take a break and come back to it.
Issue: Unemployment (no income, competitive job market, living in a city other than where I want to work.)
- Positive Focus:
- I have time to redefine my life and choose this time what I want to do with my time.
- I have the opportunity to write and explore my creative passions.
- My gasoline consumption has dropped significantly.
- I no longer have to get up at 5am and wear business attire.
- I have the time to take care of my family & home.
- I have time to exercise and get myself to a healthier place.
Issue: Dad died and I am now the primary care giver for my Mom.
- Positive Focus
- Mom & I have a better relationship than ever before.
- With my help Mom is becoming more independent.
- I am learning how to be an advocate for Mom’s health care. That will serve me well in the future as we deal with Jack’s illnesses.
- I’ve had the opportunity to see new parts of Dallas when I take Mom to the various doctors.
Issue: The housing market is not conducive to selling our home and being able to move to Portland, OR.
- Positive Focus
- I’m learning patience.
- We have the opportunity to do some work that will increase the value of our home.
- Our home is comfortable and we live in a nice neighborhood.
- We have the time to do more research about places to live in Portland.
- We can save more money for the move.
In each of these issues the negatives could be overwhelmingly depressing. When however we look for the positive aspects… and focus on those it just feels better. If you believe in the Law of Attraction, and I do, then focusing on the positive draws more positive experiences to us. And that feels great!