It is so easy to bemoan my life. I can focus on everything that isn’t as I want it to be. My current company doesn’t appreciate what I bring to the table. I live in a place that I don’t like. I am not as thin as I should be. And lord knows I am not as financially rich as I should be. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. OMG!
Whine, whine, whine. I should have cheese with that whine.
When I indulge in this self pity party…I choose to be absolutely miserable about my life. To quote Dr. Phil, “How’s that working for you Cheryl?”
We all go through these times and the last thing that we need to do it beat ourselves up for feeling like we feel. It is what it is. The real question is…how long do you want to be miserable?
I have always said that if I stay in a blue funk for more than 24 hours than I am in trouble. A day though…Ok…I can weather a day.
- If you feel like you have been unhappy for more than a day take some time to think back to the last time you were happy.
- When you realize how long ago that was…quantify it. For example, “I haven’t been happy since a week after I started this job.”
- Determine what exactly is the cause of your unhappiness. “I am unhappy because I work for a company that says that they want to be the best but they don’t want to change their ways.”
- Decide if you can accept what is at the root of your unhappiness or if it is time to move on. “I am unhappy because I work with the people who are willing to do anything to keep the status quo. No amount of my effort is going to make a lasting difference.”
- Make a decision. Keep on being miserable or make a change for your own happiness. “It’s time for me to cut my losses and move forward for me.”
Doesn’t that feel better? For me…it’s independence day! How about you?